NISSAN RELEASES THE 2017 X-TRAIL IN AUSTRALIA
X-TRAIL: one of Nissan’s most popular models has been updated for 2017
- Performance and efficiency: addition of a new 2.0-litre turbo-diesel engine
- Design: New dynamic styling with Nissan signature design cues
- Technology and safety: New Nissan Intelligent Mobility technologies available, including Intelligent Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection and Intelligent Cruise Control
- Equipment: additional features, including available Motion-Activated Tailgate
- Priced from $27,990 (MSRP); available from Nissan dealerships
MELBOURNE, Australia (5 May 2017) – The Nissan X-TRAIL, one of Nissan’s most popular models in Australia, has been updated for 2017.
Boasting enhancements to its exterior and interior styling, the fitment of new Nissan Intelligent Mobility technologies, the addition of a new 2.0-litre turbo-diesel engine and even more equipment additions across all model grades, the 2017 Nissan X-TRAIL is more compelling than ever.
“The X-TRAIL is one of Nissan’s best-selling models in Australia and, with more than 193,000 sold locally, its long-standing popularity proves it is the ideal SUV solution for families and adventurers,” said Richard Emery, Managing Director and CEO of Nissan in Australia. “For 2017 we have applied a variety of enhancements, including many of our latest Nissan Intelligent Mobility technologies and our latest exterior and interior styling, all of them designed to further broaden the appeal of this already-popular model.”
“The Nissan X-TRAIL is the ideal vehicle for families and adventures,” he said.
In addition to its new equipment and Intelligent Mobility technologies, many of the X-TRAIL’s stand-out features continue with this updated models series. For example, the innovative EZ Flex Seating System™ makes improved passenger comfort in 2nd row and greater versatility in conjunction with the available Divide-N-Hide® rear cargo system for carrying various items.
The 2017 Nissan X-TRAIL is on sale in Australia from 8th of May.
Summary of enhancements and changes: 2017 Nissan X-TRAIL
- NEW: 2.0-litre turbo-diesel four-cylinder engine (Xtronic, 4WD); 130kW, 380Nm(this engine replaces the outgoing 1.6-litre turbo-diesel)
- CARRY-OVER: 2.0-litre petrol four-cylinder engine (106kW, 200Nm)
- CARRY-OVER: 2.5-litre four-cylinder engine (126kW, 226Nm)
Styling: exterior and interior:
- New front fascia with signature Nissan “V-motion” grille, revised headlights and LED signature daytime running lights
- New rear styling with updated bumper designed and revised rear combinationlamps and LED boomerang signature tail lights
- New 17-inch (ST / TS, ST-L) and 19-inch (Ti / TL) alloy wheels
- D-shaped steering wheel
- New shifter knob design and leather gear-shift boot
- New door vent finish
- Revised centre console and lid
- Addition of three new exterior paint colours: Marine Blue, Copper Blaze and Ruby Red
New Nissan Intelligent Mobility technologies:
- Intelligent Emergency Braking (all model grades)
- Intelligent Emergency Braking with pedestrian detection (Ti, TL grades)
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW) (all model grades)
- Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) (Ti grade)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) (ST-L, Ti, TL grades)Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFLS) (Ti, TL grades)
- Lane Departure Intervention (Ti grade)
- BOSE audio system with eight speakers, including two sub-woofer speakers (Ti, TL grades)
- Motion Activated Tailgate (Ti, TL grades)
- Heated steering wheel (Ti, TL grades)
- Heated rear seats (Ti, TL grades)
- High Beam Assist (Ti, TL grades)
- Minor specification changes:
- New audio / navigation graphics
- New design for the steering wheel-mounted controls
- Revised control for the cooled / heated front centre console cup holders
- Door-mounted i-Key button change: now black (formerly chrome)
Summary of Nissan X-TRAIL model grades
| X-TRAIL Model Grade
The 2017 Nissan X-TRAIL in detail
Refined exterior for 2017
The new X-TRAIL offers updated exterior styling – which includes a new front fascia with integrated fog lamps, bumper, Nissan signature "V-Motion" grille and revised headlights with LED signature Daytime Running Lights – designed to enhance X-TRAIL’s robust, dynamic presence. In the rear, a new bumper and revised rear combination lamps with LED boomerang signature taillights have been added, while new chrome-trim side door moldings on the Ti and TL models complete the freshened appearance. New, aggressive 19-inch aluminium alloy wheels are also available on Ti and TL models, rounding out the upscale look of the 2017 X-TRAIL.
X-TRAIL again offers a desirable combination of compact overall size and ample interior roominess. Details such as wide opening (77 degrees) rear doors for easier entry and exit to the rear passenger space add to its utility – along with one of the major additions for 2017, a new Motion-Activated Tailgate. Standard on X-TRAIL Ti and TL models, it uses a kick sensor system to provide easy, comfortable and secure operation – both opening and closing of the tailgate.
Other X-TRAIL exterior highlights include body-colour heated outside mirrors with integrated turn signals, a rear spoiler, privacy glass and roof rails. X-TRAIL’s available power panoramic moonroof (Ti and TL) offers a wide view of the outside world through its extended length. The front glass panel slides and tilts, while the rear glass panel is fixed. When in the open position, the front panel slides under the fixed second panel.
The 2017 X-TRAIL is offered in seven exterior colours: Brilliant Silver, Diamond Black, Gun Metallic, Ivory Pearl, Marine Blue, Copper Blaze and Ruby Red, the latter three new for 2017.
Key exterior for the 2017 X-TRAIL are summarised below.
|| 25.1 degrees
|| 17.1 degrees
- Refined interior for 2017
Among the interior enhancements found in the 2017 X-TRAIL are a new D-shaped steering wheel and leather-booted transmission shift lever plus heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, and High Beam Assist fitted to X-TRAIL Ti and TL variants. Enhanced design features include new door and instrument panel finishers, new shift knob design, and a revised centre console and console lid. The result is a more premium look and feel.
The 2017 X-TRAIL is offered with standard two-row/five-passenger seating with three-row/seven-passenger seating optionally available in certain model grades. And to maximise cargo space, the innovative EZ Flex Seating System™ allows rear seats to slide forward or backwards or easily fold down. The front passenger seat folds rearwards, allowing transport of long items such as an 8-foot ladder when combined with the flat folding 40/20/40-split 2nd row seat.
The 2017 X-TRAIL also features a revised Divide-N-Hide® Cargo System that provides adjustable space variations within the cargo area. Please note this feature is not available when the third-row seating is fitted.
The front bucket seats are a special Zero Gravity design, which optimises comfort for occupants. The driver's seat is 6-way adjustable, with available power adjustment including lumbar support, while the front passenger seat is 4-way adjustable. The available (Ti, TL) heated front seats are designed to immediately begin warming the body parts most sensitive to heat, such as the thighs and hips. Leather-accented^ seats are standard on ST-L, Ti and TL models.
Standard interior features include Nissan’s Advanced Drive-Assist™ Display (a 5.0-inch dashboard-mounted colour display located between the speedometer and tachometer); 6-speaker AM/FM/CD audio system with auxiliary audio input jack; USB connection port for iPod® interface and other compatible devices; reversing camera; Bluetooth®^^ Hands-free Phone System and audio streaming; (compatible smartphone required). Also available are dual-zone automatic climate control (ST-L, Ti & TL model grades) and a Bose® audio system with eight speakers (Ti & TL model grades).
Three interior colours are offered: black fabric (ST), black leather-accented^ (for ST-L, Ti and TL model grades) and optional Tan leather-accented^ (Ti and TL model grades).
Nissan Intelligent Mobility: Advanced safety and technologies
For 2017, the popular Nissan X-TRAIL now includes the largest range of available advanced technology features ever. The following technologies listed and detailed below are new for the X-TRAIL.
Forward Collision Warning (FCW) 6: Alerts the driver if they are travelling too close to the vehicle ahead by delivering a visual and audible warning (all X-TRAIL model grades).
- Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) 6: Uses radar to maintain a set distance between the X-TRAIL and the vehicle ahead, even braking to help maintain that distance (Ti model grade).
- Intelligent Emergency Braking 6: Can help a driver avoid a potential collision by applying the vehicle’s brakes if necessary when travelling at speeds of upwards of 5km/h (all X-TRAIL model grades).
- Intelligent Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection 6: In addition to the Intelligent Emergency Braking available on all models; the pedestrian detection system, a first for a Nissan vehicle in Australia, is also designed to help avoid or mitigate frontal collisions with pedestrians when travelling between 10-60km/h, using a camera-based system torecognise human shapes (Ti, TL model grades).
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) 6: Operates when the vehicle is reversing (at 8km/h or less) and alerts the driver with a visual warning (using the Blind Spot Warning lights) and an audible warning when an approaching vehicle is detected (ST-L, TI, TL model grades).
- Adaptive Front-Lighting System: Improves night visibility by changing the lighting pattern from the headlights to compensate for road curvature and illuminate the chosen direction of travel at intersections (Ti, TL model grades).
- Lane Departure Intervention (LDI) 6: Helps keep the vehicle from unintentionally drifting from its lane of travel at speeds of 60km/h and above when activated (Ti model grade).
The following technology features continue from the preceding model series into the 2017 X-TRAIL range.
Around View Monitor (AVM)6: provides the driver with a 360-degree aerial view of the X-TRAIL and its surrounds using four separate cameras located around the car (ST-L, Ti,TL model grades).
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW) 6: this system uses the X-TRAIL Ti’s rear camera to provide a warning to the driver when unintended lane departure has occurred (Ti, TL model grades).
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW) 6: this system detects vehicles situated in the driver’s blind spots (left and right). Along with an audible chime, BSW gives the driver a visual warning via lights that illuminate in the corresponding rear-vision mirror housing trims (Ti, TL model grades).
- Moving Object Detection (MOD) 6: this system uses the rear camera to help alert the driver to any moving objects at the rear of the vehicle when the vehicle is in reverse. This system operates at speeds below 8km/h. The driver is alerted by an on-screen image in the seven-inch display and an audible warning (Ti, TL model grades).
In addition to the advanced Nissan Intelligent Mobility features detailed above, the 2017 X-TRAIL is comprehensively equipped with many other safety features as standard equipment for all model grades. They include:
Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
- Reversing Camera
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD)
- Brake Assist (BA)
- Intelligent Trace Control (ITC)
- Intelligent Ride Control (IRC)
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- Driver and front passenger front-impact SRS airbags
- Driver and front passenger side-impact SRS airbags
- SRS curtain airbags extending to the second row
- Front seatbelts with load limiters and pre-tensioners
- 3-point Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) front and rear seatbelts (all)
- Child restraint anchorage (RH/LH ISOFIX# with top tether and centre top tether – second row)
- Speed-sensitive, variable intermittent front windscreen wipers
- Nissan Anti-Theft System (NATS) vehicle immobiliser
- Engines and transmissions
Customers can choose from three different four-cylinder engines in the 2017 Nissan X-TRAIL:
The two petrol engines carry over in the 2017 X-TRAIL range but the 2.0-litre turbo-diesel unit is new for the T32 X-TRAIL. Delivering 130kW of power at 3,750rpm and a peak torque of 380Nm from only 2,000rpm it delivers strong acceleration and excellent fuel efficiency, using 6.0-litres of diesel per 100km4 travelled.
A 2.0-litre petrol engine: 106kW of power and 200Nm of torque
- A 2.5-litre engine: 126kW of power and 226Nm of torque
- NEW: A 2.0-litre turbo-diesel engine: 130kW of power and 380Nm of torque
This responsive 2.0-litre turbo-diesel power unit, available with the Xtronic transmission with 4WD, replaces the outgoing 1.6-litre turbo-diesel, which delivered 96kW of power and 320Nm of torque.
| NEW: 2.0-litre Turbo-Diesel
|| 1.6-litre Turbo Diesel
|| +34kW (35%)
|| +60Nm (18%)
Both four-cylinder petrol engines are efficient and responsive. The 2.0-litre unit features Nissan’s DIG (Direct Injection Gasoline) technology and twin variable timing control to deliver strong fuel economy and torque. The 2.0-litre X-TRAIL ST manual consumes 8.2-litres per 100 kilometres traveled and emits 190g of CO2 per kilometre4.
The 2.5-litre engine is available in all three model grades – ST, ST-L and Ti – and returns a strong blend of performance and efficiency, consuming as little as 7.9l/100km4 in the 2WD X-TRAIL ST.
The two petrol-powered variants of the new Nissan X-TRAIL have a 60-litre fuel tank and the recommended fuel type for both engines is 91RON unleaded petrol. The turbo-diesel-powered X-TRAIL also has a 60-litre fuel tank.
The two gearboxes available in the 2017 X-TRAIL continue from the preceding model series:
- Six-speed manual transmission
- Xtronic (MCVT)
The summary of powertrains and seating formats available in the 2017 X-TRAIL is shown below.
| 2.5l Petrol
|| MCVT 2WD
| MCVT 4WD
|| MCVT 4WD
| ST / TS
| Ti / TL
The 2WD-only 2.0-litre powered X-TRAIL ST uses a smooth-shifting six-speed manual transmission whereas all 2.5-litre variants (available in both 2WD and 4WD) are mated to Nissan’s Xtronic CVT with manual mode (MCVT). This transmission’s broad gear ratio coverage and low-friction design help deliver strong acceleration and fuel economy.
All Xtronic-equipped X-TRAIL model grades come fitted with an ECO mode button, located on the dashboard in the lower-right area near the steering column. This function maximises fuel economy by controlling the engine and transmission operation to help avoid rapid acceleration by the driver. In ECO mode, the driver receives visual feedback in the Advanced Drive-Assist™ Display (situated in front of the driver in the instrument cluster) about the amount of fuel being used relative to the amount of accelerator pedal input, providing guidance as to the most efficient driving technique.
The 4WD X-TRAIL comes equipped with Nissan’s advanced Intelligent 4x4 system to deliver excellent traction in a variety of driving conditions. Controlled by the driver using a simple centre console-mounted rotary dial, Intelligent 4x4 has three settings: 2WD mode, AUTO mode and LOCK mode.
In 2WD mode, 100 per cent of the engine’s drive is transferred to the X-TRAIL’s front wheels, making it the most economical mode for normal driving conditions. If the vehicle detects a loss of traction, the system will automatically engage all-wheel drive to assist the driver in these conditions.
In AUTO mode, the system continually monitors all four wheels and instantly distributes the ideal amount of torque between them.
The LOCK mode permanently engages the drive power to the rear wheels, delivering a 50:50 torque split between the front and rear wheels. The LOCK mode operates at speeds below 40km/h. Above this speed, the system reverts to AUTO mode.
Both 2WD and 4WD variants of the X-TRAIL come fitted with Hill Start assist (HSA), which automatically keeps the vehicle’s brakes applied when taking off from an incline to help prevent the driver from rolling backwards when setting off.
4WD-equipped X-TRAIL variants are equipped with Hill Descent Control (HDC), which uses the car’s ABS braking system to control the X-TRAIL’s speed at approximately 7km/h when traversing particularly steep downhill terrain.
Chassis, suspension and steering
The 2017 X-TRAIL’s uni-body (monocoque) structure has been optimised to reduce road, wind and mechanical noise. These enhancements include the fitment of additional damping material and sound absorption materials in areas of the floor and body pillars.
The front suspension is an independent strut design and the rear uses a multi-link set-up, providing excellent handling and ride comfort.
All X-TRAIL model grades come fitted with four-wheel ventilated disc brakes, ABS anti-lock braking system, Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), and Brake Assist (BA).
The X-TRAIL uses Electric Power Steering (EPS), helping to reduce fuel consumption by avoiding the need for an engine-driven hydraulic pump. The X-TRAIL uses an EPS logic system which enables high stability and less body motion. Steering effort is automatically varied according to the driving conditions.
Three clever innovations feature on the new Nissan X-TRAIL, all designed to improve driving performance: Intelligent Ride Control, Intelligent Engine Brake and Intelligent Trace Control (ITC).
Fitted to all X-TRAIL variants, Intelligent Ride Control monitors the road surface to detect undulations which could potentially upset the pitch of the car body and makes subtle adjustments to the engine’s torque to compensate.
Intelligent Engine Brake, fitted to all 2.5-litre-powered, CVT-equipped variants, harnesses the power and controllability of the Xtronic transmission to add a degree of engine braking while cornering or when decelerating to a standstill. The benefits are shorter stopping distances, greater braking control and enhanced feel with less pedal effort.
The X-TRAIL also features Intelligent Trace Control (ITC), which applies braking force where necessary when cornering. Fitted to all X-TRAIL variants, it uses on-board sensors to monitor speed, steering angle, throttle opening and braking effort and brakes wheels individually, as required, to reduce understeer and help the driver steer a safer path through bends; it is particularly effective on slippery, wet roads.
Two alloy wheel sizes are available on the 2017 X-TRAIL range.
The X-TRAIL ST and ST-L are fitted with 17-inch alloy wheels in a new design, wearing 225/65 R17 tyres. The range-leading Ti and TL grades are fitted with 19-inch alloy wheels (previously 18-inches) wearing 225/60 R19 tyres. A space-saving temporary spare wheel (steel) is fitted to all model grades.
Nissan has equipped the 2017 X-TRAIL with generous equipment-rich model grades.
For 2017, there are a number of new-equipment highlights. They are listed and detailed below.
- Heated steering wheel: uniformly heats the wheel to 20-degrees Celsius above the ambient temperature within three minutes of being activated. The heater is activated by a button underneath the indicator stalk (Ti, TL model grades).
- Heated rear seats (2 outboard seats only): These are activated by a button on the centre console (Ti, TL model grades).
- High-Beam Assist: when High-beam is the system can detect an oncoming vehicle and automatically adjust to a standard beam, then revert back to high beam once vehicle has passed (Ti and TL model grades).
- Motion-Activated Tailgate: A kick motion under the rear bumper activates the tailgate to open (Ti, TL model grades).
- BOSE audio system: includes 8 speakers (of which two are sub-woofers) (Ti, TL model grades).
All equipment inclusions for each model grade in the 2017 X-TRAIL range are summarised below. Items in bold indicate they are new/changes for 2017.
X-TRAIL ST / TS
- 17" Alloy Wheels
- Daytime Running Lights
- Intelligent 4x4 System (4WD Only)
- Idle Stop/Start (Diesel only)
- Body Coloured mirrors with Electric Folding, Electric Adjustment and Indicators
- Rear Roof Spoiler
- 5" LCD Colour QVGA Display
- D-shaped steering wheel
- Rear View Camera
- Electric Park Brake (Manual transmission only)
- Intelligent Key
- Intelligent Key® with push-button engine start
- AM/FM 1CD, MP3, USB, AUX, Bluetooth
- EZ Flex® flexible seating system with 2nd-row 40/20/40 split fold-down sliding/reclining
- Divide’N’Hide rear storage system (5 seats only)
- Cruise Control
- Six Airbags (driver/front pass./side/curtain)
- Child restraint (RH/LH ISOFIX & top tether and centre tether)
- ABS, EBD and Brake Assist
- Intelligent Emergency Braking (FEB) with Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- Limited-Slip Differential (LSD)
- HDC - (4WD Only)
- Intelligent Trace Control, Intelligent Engine Brake & Intelligent Ride Control
X-TRAIL ST-L (ST plus the following):
- Rear Privacy Glass
- Front Fog Lamps
- Leather Accented^ Steering Wheel
- Leather Accented^ Seats
- Power Adjust Driver’s Seat (8-way)
- Power Adjust Front Passenger Seat (4-way)
- Lumbar Support (Driver only)
- Roof Rails (100kg load capacity)
- Heated Front Seats
- Dual Zone Climate Control
- 7" LCD Colour QVGA Monitor
- Digital Radio DAB+
- Satellite Navigation with traffic monitoring
- Around View Monitor
- Moving Object Detection (MOD)
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
X-TRAIL Ti / TL (ST-L plus the following):
- Heated Door Mirrors
- Auto dimming rear-view mirror
- LED Head Lamps
- Adaptive Front Lighting System
- Auto Levelling Headlights
- Rain Sensing Wipers
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Motion activated Power Tail Gate
- Heated Rear Seats
- Bose Audio with 8 Speakers
- Power Tilt and Slide Sunroof
- 19" Alloy Wheels
- Lane Departure Warning
- Lane Departure Prevention (Ti only)
- Intelligent Emergency Braking with pedestrian detection
- Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) (Ti only)
- Tan leather-accented^ upholstery
Australian prices for the 2017 Nissan X-TRAIL range are summarised in the table below.
| 2017 Nissan X-TRAIL Prices
| Petrol 2WD
| X-TRAIL ST 2WD Petrol Manual
|| No change
| X-TRAIL ST 2WD Petrol Auto
|| No change
| X-TRAIL ST-L 2WD Petrol Auto
|| No change
| Petrol 2WD - Seven Seats
| X-TRAIL ST 2WD Petrol Auto
|| No change
| X-TRAIL ST-L 2WD Petrol Auto
|| No change
| Petrol 4WD
| X-TRAIL ST 4WD Petrol Auto
| X-TRAIL ST-L 4WD Petrol Auto
| X-TRAIL TI 4WD Petrol Auto
| Turbo-Diesel 4WD
| X-TRAIL TS 4WD Auto
| X-TRAIL TL 4WD Auto
* Manufacturer suggested retail prices (MSRP) are provided for media purposes only and do not include statutory charges or other on-road costs.
** Maximum recommended drive-away price for vehicle in Victoria including 12 months’ registration, 12 months’ CTP and applicable statutory charges, dealer delivery and administration charges. Price is based on a private owner aged 40 with a good driving record and the vehicle being garaged in Victoria. Prices may differ depending on State purchased, individual’s personal circumstances and will vary from dealer to dealer. Premium paint available at additional cost.
# ISOFIX compatible child seats are subject to Australian Standard approval, refer to child restraint manufacturer for more information.
^ Leather accented features and upholstery may contain synthetic material.
^^ The Bluetooth™ word mark is owned by The Bluetooth SIG, Inc. Functionality and compatibility will vary depending on the device.
4 Figures tested in accordance with ADR81/02 (combined test). Figures stated for the purposes of
comparison amongst vehicles only. Actual fuel consumption depends on factors such as traffic conditions,
vehicle condition, how you drive and any accessories fitted
6 Driver’s aids only and should not be used as substitutes for safe driving practices. Always monitor your
surroundings when driving.
About Nissan Motor Co.
Nissan is a global full-line vehicle manufacturer that sells more than 60 models under the Nissan, Infiniti and
Datsun brands. In fiscal year 2015, the company sold more than 5.4 million vehicles globally, generating
revenue of ¥12.19 trillion. Nissan engineers, manufactures and markets the world's best-selling all-electric
vehicle in history, the Nissan LEAF. Nissan's global headquarters in Yokohama, Japan, manages operations
in six regions: ASEAN & Oceania; Africa, Middle East & India; China; Europe; Latin America and North
America. Nissan has a global workforce of 247,500, and has been partnered with French manufacturer
Renault under the Renault-Nissan Alliance since March 1999.
For more information on our products, services
and commitment to sustainable mobility, visit our website at http://www.nissan-global.com/EN
For further information:
Download PDF Version
For more information please visit:
Nissan Australia Media Information: http://www.nissan.com.au/news
Nissan Australia YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/NissanAustralia
Nissan Australia Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Nissan_Aus
Nissan Australia Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/NissanAustralia
Nissan Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Nissan
NISMO Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NISMO
NISMO Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/NISMO
NISMO Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/NISMO
Nissan Global Newsroom: https://newsroom.nissan-global.com/